Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tomato Salsa



Salsa

Indigenous Mexican Sauce
Roje, verde, cocida, fresco
(Tomatoes, gooseberry, cooked, uncooked)
Inherited flavor of the Mayans and Aztecs
Colorful, textured, fragrant and spicy
Cilantro, citrus, chili, and corn
Tomatillo, Tequila, and mint
Classic Mexican relish, inspiring others:
Exotic Jamaican, bananas and guavas
Asian peaches, Far East anise
Turkish delight, pomegranate, honey, and figs
Delectable all!  Join me, will you, each Saturday
as I explore this versatile "sauce" for us to
comer y disfrutar!

I was inspired by my trip last week to the farmers market.  I forgot to bring my camera - I was so upset as the beauty just spilled out on the tables even at the end of March!  I didn't ask, but these farmers must have greenhouses or something in which they grow their produce.  My quick "poem" above is not a masterpiece, that's for sure, but I hope it tempted you with checking in next Saturday for my new recipe.  Today's recipe is at the bottom of this post.  Oh, and by the way, "comer y disfrutar" means "Eat and Enjoy".



Tomato Salsa

4 ripe tomatoes, seeded, chopped - (about 8 - 10 oz)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red jalapeno chile, seeded, finely chopped (size depends upon you!)
1 or 2 garlic cloves (again, up to you), crushed
peeled cucumber, seeded, finely chopped
honey to taste (1 - 2 tsp)
1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
dash of lime juice
pepper

Makes about 1 cup (I doubled this recipe and it was gone in two days!)

Prepare all ingredients and add to a bowl. The fresher the ingredients are, of course, the better tasting the dish will be.  Stir well.  Cover and let stand to let the flavors mix.  Do NOT put in the refrigerator, as the flavor will not sufficiently blend.  Eat with tortilla chip

Ingredients before mixing

No comments:

Post a Comment