Tuesday, November 27, 2018

"Mitchum" Soup aka Hearty Turkey Vegetable Soup

"Mitchum Soup" aka Hearty Turkey Vegetable Soup

I have a handful of recipes that I know by heart.  Hearty Turkey Vegetable Soup is one of them but we call it "Mitchum Soup" as my oldest son's first girlfriend's mother (sounds more complicated than it is) gave it to me and I still have my version (very worn and splattered) hand-written on an index card.

It is a soup that is almost chili-like and makes a HUGE pot that will last for days (unless you have six children who LOVE this soup - which I do).  Years later I googled and found this on the internet.  It can be found HERE but I have listed the ingredients and how to below as well.


In dutch oven, combine the first two ingredients over medium heat and cook until meat is no longer pink:

1 lb lean ground turkey (sometimes I use a very high quality, 95% f.f. ground beef)
1 Onion (minced)


Add the following two ingredients.  Cook and stir for 1 - 2 minutes.

2 Zucchini, small, quartered length wise and sliced
1 Carrot (I often use 3) cut into 1-inch julienne strips


Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 30-45 minutes. 

3 cans (14 oz each) reduced sodium beef broth, reduced sodium (I often add an extra can)
1 jar Pasta Marina Sauce 
1 can Great Northern beans (rinsed)
1 can Kidney Beans (rinsed)
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
2 tsp Oregano, dried
1 Tbsp Parsley flakes, dried
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Hot pepper sauce


Before serving stir in already cooked:

1 cup (uncooked) shell pasta, small




No comments:

Post a Comment